Skip to main content

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

On August 28th 2017 I was diagnosed with Hashimotos Thyroiditis Disease.

A week earlier I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. It was recommend by my doctor to start thyroid medication.

I talked with my Nutrition Coach and asked her opinion on Hypothyroidism. She did some research and found some good information on how to adjust my diet to possibly reverse some of the side effects of Hypothyroidism and prolong having to start thyroid medication. I'm not against medication, but I know once you start hormone replacement medication, you will have to continue for the rest of your life. My goal was just to put off starting meds as long as possible.
I contacted my doctor and shared the information my nutrition coach and I had found. My doctor was very open and willing to try this route but as she read over the list of what we need to do, she noticed that they were opposite of what we  needed to do if I had Hashimotos Disease. 
She had not run the tests to rule it out so I went right in, got the blood work done and unfortunately it came back positive for Hashimotos. She called me and gave me the news & had a plan to help get me feeling better asap. She recommended I read and follow the Hashimotos protocol by Izabella Wentz and then come back in and run my bloodwork after I complete the 90 days. It starts with a liver cleanse, followed by an adrenal cleanse and ends with a gut cleanse. I'm about 60 days into it and I'm in the adrenal phase. I'm extending the adrenal phase because I'm still not feeling so great. 

Part of the protocol is taking supplements, not working out & I'm not eating Gluten, Dairy, Soy, Sugar, Caffeine, Legumes, Nuts, Seeds, Grains & Nightshades. I'm following the AIP diet which is the Auto Immune Paleo Diet. Is it easy? No! Am I perfect? No! Am I trying? Yes! Am I noticing a difference in how I'm feeling? Yes! Is it worth it? Yes! Will I end up taking medication? Most likely Yes. Once I eventually have to start taking meds will I continue to eat this way? Yes! Medication is just a bandaid it makes the thyroid function properly but the diet keeps the autoimmune disease in check and lessens the symptoms.

The reason I'm sharing this is I hope that I can help others by being open about my journey. We  all have our own story & we all chose different paths with our health. The way I am doing things may not be for everyone and that's okay. My goal is to help us all come together and help each other out because it's much easier to get through life's trials if you have a team of fighters by your side.

Hashimoto’s is an autoimmune disease that results in the destruction of the thyroid gland, leads to hypothyroidism, and sometimes, to other types of autoimmune diseases. It affects more than 14 million people in the United States, mostly women, but also men and children. 20 million Americans have some form of thyroid disease and up to 60 percent of the 20 million are unaware that they have a thyroid condition.

If you're not feeling well, if you feel like something is off, please take care of yourself and make sure you go to your yearly doctor appointments and don't be afraid to ask questions about your own health. I have felt like something had been off and wrong with me for the last 7 years and unfortunately, Hashimoto's is hard to diagnose until it's in it's advanced stages. I actually had ultrasounds and blood work done about 5 years ago on my thyroid because I had swollen lymph nodes and an enlarged thyroid but unfortunately the doctors couldn't figure out what was going on at the time.

Don't give up on yourselves! You are worth it! I highly suggest everyone take a look at your diets. Just eliminating some things from you diet can help reduce swelling, inflammation, bloating, headaches, etc. Take your health seriously, if you take care of you, you will be around longer to take care of the ones you love.

Please be patient with me. I'm doing my best. I have good days and bad days. It's hard being broken. I'm a fighter and I don't give up but some days I want to give up, it's hard and I'm not used to getting my butt kicked, I'm usually the one doing the kicking! I love you all and thank you for your love and support!
Thanks for reading,

Jena 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm back! For Realzies!

Okay, so it is time I am serious about posting my progress. This year I have lost a lot, but gained it right back as soon as I stopped moving. I got into bad habits with eating and sleeping and now I regret not keeping up with the workouts and healthy eating habits, even though I was burnt out, it was not worth gaining it back. It comes on faster than it goes, now the hard work starts over again. Someday I will learn, I hope... I am, however, proud to list my accomplishments: 3 5ks so far 1 10 k 1 15 k 2 half marathons so far On Sept. 11th I will be running in my first relay race. I am very excited but I have 3 legs to run in 24 hours: Leg 1= 6.5 Leg 2= 6.3 Leg 3= 3.9 I also plan on running at least 2 more half marathons this year. My new adventure in weight loss starts on Monday, May 24th. I joined a local Boot Camp for 3 months, so by Aug. 23rd I Will be looking good. I will be working out 5 days a week at 5:30 am. Yeah, crazy I know! I really want to push myse

What keeps me going Wednesdays...

I decided to do a scheduled post every Wednesday and the topic will be "What keeps me going". I will be focusing on the types of food I eat to keep my motor running while I am doing boot camp, running, climbing and training for the Red Rock relay race. This week my post is about  LUNA  bars. I love Luna bars for my pre-workout snack or post-workout snack and they come in handy when I am on the road or out of town because they fill me up and it is better than snacking on a candy bar that is full of bad calories. The calories vary between 170-190 depending on the flavor and type. Luna bars are made specifically for woman and made with 70% organic ingredients. The normal bars have between 8 and 9 grams of protein depending on the flavor and the new Luna protein bars have 12 grams of protein. They taste so good that you forget you are eating a fitness bar. The price of Luna bars depends on where you go to get them. I have found them for under a dollar a piece at Target and Wa

My new love...

As a lot of my friends know, I have always been a runner, I have always loved running. My Dad started me out running when I was 3. I still have a really young memory from when I was 3 or 4 and I remember going on a night run with my Dad and loving it. 30+ years later I still love it but now I have another love, riding my road bike! Lucky for me, the weather has been crazy in Utah so almost every weekend since I got my bike I have gone on at least 1 ride. I have gone on most of them alone, but I really prefer having a friend with me. I have been going to about 6 spin classes a week which has really helped me when I get out on the road. I also have experienced my first flat and I had no idea how to take off my rear wheel to fix it so luckily my husband rescued me and took me to the bike shop for a lesson. You Tube on the side of the road was not very helpful... This past weekend I went on a 14 mile ride with one of my dearest friends, Lori. We also did a drive by and st